Greater Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT), served by most major airlines, is 14 miles west of downtown. 1000 Airport Blvd., Pittsburgh, PA. 412/472-3525. www.pitairport.com.
Flying time to Pittsburgh is 2 hours from New York, 11-12 hours from London (including a 2-hour layover), 15 hours from Sydney (including a 1 to 2-hour layover), and 4 hours from Toronto.
US Airways. 800/428-4322.
From the U.K.
Air Canada. 0870/524-7226.
Transfers Between the Airport & Town
Port Authority Transit operates daily bus service (No. 28X) from around 5:30 am to midnight between the airport and downtown and Oakland ($1.95). 412/442–2000.
Airlines Transportation Co. provides motor-coach or van service to the major downtown hotels for $12 one-way and $20 round-trip. 412/471-8900.
To reach downtown Pittsburgh from the airport, take Route 22 to I-279. The trip should take about 20 minutes.
A taxi ride between the airport and downtown costs about $30.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe