About an hour and a half southeast of Pittsburgh is Fallingwater, Frank Lloyd Wright's residential masterwork—a stone, concrete, and glass house dramatically cantilevered over a waterfall. In 1936, Edgar J. Kaufmann—who'd made a fortune as owner of Kaufmann's, Pittsburgh's premier department store—hired Wright to design a weekend retreat for his family on a piece of land in Mill Run. Wright's design incorporated much of what was already on the site, including rocks, trees, and a rushing creek. Battles of will between Kaufmann and Wright over the details of the house design became legendary. Wright wanted to cover the concrete parapets of the house with gold leaf; Kaufmann didn't. Kaufmann wanted a swimming pool on one of the balconies; Wright didn't. And so on. Despite their many differences, they produced an amazing house. The only way to see the house is on a guided tour; children under six cannot tour the house. Reservations are essential for the detailed tour.
- Address: 1491 Mill Run Rd., Mill Run, PA 15464 | Map It
- Phone: 724/329–8501
- Cost: $16, includes a tour; detailed tours $55 (available early morning only)
- Hours: Mid-Mar.–late Nov., Tues.–Sun. 10–4, Dec. weekends 11–3, week between Christmas and New Year's Day 11–3; closed Jan. and Feb.
- Website: www.fallingwater.org
- Location: Mill Run
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We left New Jersey and went straight to our hotel The Windsor Suites. Read more
A few months ago, a friend of mine got married in a spur of the moment wedding to allow his father to make the wedding before his health went further downhill due to his battle with ALS. Read more
Does any one know of any St Lucia Day events for this year scheduled around December 13?
In searching the web, it seems as though many have already occurred, which doesn't help. Is it true that Ulrika's Read more
· News & Features
With its rich history, intoxicating culture, and gorgeous mix of architecture, Cambodia serves up sights... Read more
American Airlines and US Airways formally completed their merger this morning, leaving four major players... Read more
Oceania Cruises has got something unique in store: a world cruise that embarks in the summertime instead... Read more