- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
The Broad Street Subway runs from Fern Rock station in the northern part of the city to Pattison Avenue and the sports complex (First Union Center and Veterans Stadium) in South Philadelphia. The Market-Frankford line runs across the city from the western suburb of Upper Darby to Frankford in Northeast Philadelphia. Both lines shut down from midnight to 5 am, during which time "Night Owl" buses operate along the same routes. Tickets may be purchased at all subway stations. The one-way fare within the city is $2, with transfers costing $1. There's an extra $2 charge for buying tickets on the train while riding Regional Rail lines if the station you're leaving has a working ticket machine.
While the subway does have its limitations, it can still be a good way to maneuver around the city and avoid having to park a car, which, during business hours, can be a frustrating experience.
SEPTA (215/580–7800. www.septa.org.)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe