- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge at Tinicum
John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge at Tinicum Review
Part of the appeal of this refuge is its truly strange location for a nature preserve: it's between the airport and an oil refinery, and visitors seem to really enjoy the oddity of it. More than 280 species of hawks, swallows, herons, egrets, geese, gallinules, eagles, orioles, ducks, and other birds have been spotted at this 1,200-acre preserve, the largest remaining freshwater tidal marsh in Pennsylvania. There are 10 mi of foot trails, an observation deck, and boardwalks through the wet areas. The refuge is also home to fox, deer, muskrat, turtles, and frogs, and you'll likely see large carp and catfish flopping about the lilies. An environmental education center has some explanatory exhibits on wetlands and regional wildlife. There are many guided tours, including some popular nighttime ones. Bird-watchers can prepare for their visit by calling for recent sightings. You can even kayak and mountain bike, but there are no rentals here. The refuge is convenient to I–95, which you can pick up from Penn's Landing. Call for directions.
- Address: 86th St. and Lindbergh Blvd., Southwest Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA 19153 | Map It
- Phone: 215/365–3118; 215/567–2473 bird-watching information
- Cost: Free
- Hours: Refuge, daily dawn–dusk; visitor center, daily 8:30–4
- Website: heinz.fws.gov
- Location: Queen Village and South Philadelphia
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
That's quite a mouthful, so I'll just use Tinicum for short.
Today was a gorgeous spring day, the first day that really felt like spring all the way through. Happily, this was also the day chosen for ou Read more
We're here! Read more
We were supposed to visit Lancaster a few years ago, but the trip fell through. Read more
· News & Features
For a lover of brews, there's no place quite like New Zealand. ... Read more
Phu Quoc, a fishing island in the Gulf of Thailand, is a quiet refuge of serene beaches, phenomenal seafood,... Read more
Travel is as much about the journey as the destination.... Read more