- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Fisher Fine Arts Library
Fisher Fine Arts Library Review
One of the finest examples remaining of the work of Philadelphia architect Frank Furness, this was the most innovative library building in the country when it opened in 1891. It was the first library to separate the reading room and the stacks. Peek into the reading room, dominated by a huge fireplace, and with study alcoves lit from skylights above. The unusual exterior stirred controversy when it was built: note the terra-cotta panels, short heavy columns, and gargoyles on the north end.
- Address: 220 S. 34th St., University City, Philadelphia, PA 19104 | Map It
- Phone: 215/898–8325
- Cost: Free; need photo ID; admittance is more restricted in late evening, weekends and during exam periods; check website for details
- Hours: During Fall and Spring school terms, Sept. to mid-Dec and mid-Jan to–mid-May; Mon.–Thurs. 8:30 am–midnight, Fri. 8:30–8, Sat. 10–8, Sun. 10–midnight; between terms (late- Dec to early-Jan. and mid-Aug to early Sept, Mon-Fri 9am-5pm, closed weekends.
- Website: www.library.upenn.edu/finearts
- Metro 34th & Market Sts. (SEPTA Market-Frankford Blue line); 33rd & Market Sts. and 36th & Sansom Sts. (SEPTA subway-surface green lines, routes 11, 13, 34, 36).
- Location: University City
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We're here! Read more
We left New Jersey and went straight to our hotel The Windsor Suites. Read more
What would be the best way to get from Philadelphia Convention Center to the airport (for two teachers) Airport Shuttle? Read more
· News & Features
After the recent debut of his Grand Cayman-inspired novel The Forever Girl, author Alexander McCall ... Read more
When's the best time to go?... Read more
The world's northernmost capital is a charming destination in all seasons.... Read more