- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Fisher Fine Arts Library
Fisher Fine Arts Library Review
One of the finest examples remaining of the work of Philadelphia architect Frank Furness, this was the most innovative library building in the country when it opened in 1891. It was the first library to separate the reading room and the stacks. Peek into the reading room, dominated by a huge fireplace, and with study alcoves lit from skylights above. The unusual exterior stirred controversy when it was built: note the terra-cotta panels, short heavy columns, and gargoyles on the north end.
- Address: 220 S. 34th St., University City, Philadelphia, PA 19104 | Map It
- Phone: 215/898–8325
- Cost: Free; need photo ID; admittance is more restricted in late evening, weekends and during exam periods; check website for details
- Hours: During Fall and Spring school terms, Sept. to mid-Dec and mid-Jan to–mid-May; Mon.–Thurs. 8:30 am–midnight, Fri. 8:30–8, Sat. 10–8, Sun. 10–midnight; between terms (late- Dec to early-Jan. and mid-Aug to early Sept, Mon-Fri 9am-5pm, closed weekends.
- Website: www.library.upenn.edu/finearts
- Metro 34th & Market Sts. (SEPTA Market-Frankford Blue line); 33rd & Market Sts. and 36th & Sansom Sts. (SEPTA subway-surface green lines, routes 11, 13, 34, 36).
- Location: University City
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We left New Jersey and went straight to our hotel The Windsor Suites. Read more
A few months ago, a friend of mine got married in a spur of the moment wedding to allow his father to make the wedding before his health went further downhill due to his battle with ALS. Read more
Does any one know of any St Lucia Day events for this year scheduled around December 13?
In searching the web, it seems as though many have already occurred, which doesn't help. Is it true that Ulrika's Read more
· News & Features
From milk and cookies to a full-on Christmas tree (with the option to decorate it yourself), hotels are... Read more
As 2013 comes to a close, there's no slowing down for the Bay Area's restaurant scene.... Read more
Visit the mysterious Land of the Golden Pagodas—Myanmar—with AmaWaterways, starting in Novembe... Read more