The city's second-oldest Catholic church, circa 1763, became its first cathedral when the archdiocese was formed in 1808. A Gothic-style facade was added in 1880; the interior was redone in 1979. The stained-glass windows, a ceiling mural of St. Mary, and brass chandeliers that hung in the Founders Room of Independence Hall until 1967 are highlights. Commodore John Barry, a Revolutionary War naval hero, and other famous Philadelphians are buried in the small churchyard.
Oct 2, 2010
Modern "wreck-o-vators" have destroyed this once beautiful, historic Catholic church. They removed all the high altars and put in plain kitchen tables. They did much damage to the interior. They destroyed the interior architecture of this old church. Who did it? Which pastor wanted to make this Catholic church look Protestant?