- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Laurel Hill Cemetery
Laurel Hill Cemetery Review
John Notman, architect of the Athenaeum and many other noted local buildings, designed Laurel Hill in 1836. The cemetery is an important example of an early rural burial ground and the first cemetery in America designed by an architect. Its rolling hills overlooking the Schuylkill River, its rare trees, and its monuments and mausoleums sculpted by Alexander Milne Calder, Alexander Stirling Calder, William Strickland, and Thomas U. Walter made it a popular picnic spot in the 19th century; today it's a great place to stroll on your own, or take a guided tour. Among the notables buried in this 78-acre necropolis are prominent Philadelphians and Declaration of Independence signers. Burials still take place here.
- Address: 3822 Ridge Ave., Fairmount Park, Philadelphia, PA 19132 | Map It
- Phone: 215/228–8200
- Cost: Free
- Hours: Weekdays 8am–4:30pm; Weekends 9:30am–4:30pm
- Website: www.laurelhillcemetery.com
- Metro Septa bus route 61; Regional Rail: East Falls Train Station.
- Location: Fairmount Park
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We left New Jersey and went straight to our hotel The Windsor Suites. Read more
A few months ago, a friend of mine got married in a spur of the moment wedding to allow his father to make the wedding before his health went further downhill due to his battle with ALS. Read more
Does any one know of any St Lucia Day events for this year scheduled around December 13?
In searching the web, it seems as though many have already occurred, which doesn't help. Is it true that Ulrika's Read more
· News & Features
With Art Basel Miami now in town, it's prime time to consider the 7 reasons why you should be taking a ... Read more
New York City offers irresistible retail therapy during the holiday season.... Read more
Next year, crazed soccer fans the world will descend upon Brazil, host of the 2014 World Cup.... Read more