- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Betsy Ross House
Betsy Ross House Review
It's easy to find this little brick house with the gabled roof: just look for the 13-star flag displayed from its second-floor window. Whether Betsy Ross, also known as Elizabeth Griscom Ross Ashbourn Claypoole (1752–1836) actually lived here and whether she really made the first Stars and Stripes is debatable. Nonetheless, the house, built around 1740, is a splendid example of a Colonial Philadelphia home and is fun to visit. Owned by the city and maintained by the non-profit Historic Philadelphia Inc., the eight-room house overflows with artifacts such as a family Bible and Betsy Ross's chest of drawers and reading glasses. The small rooms hold period pieces that reflect the life of this hardworking Quaker (who died at the age of 84, outliving three husbands). You may have to wait in line, as this is one of the city's most popular attractions. The house, with its winding narrow stairs, is not accessible to people with disabilities. Alongside the house is a courtyard with a fountain, as well as the graves of Betsy Ross and her third husband, John Claypoole. Visitors can meet Betsy in her upholstery shop (the only working colonial upholstery shop in the country) and enjoy free, interactive historical programming in the courtyard from May to September.
Requested corrections from proprieter:
- Address: 239 Arch St., Old City, Philadelphia, PA 19106 | Map It
- Phone: 215/686–1252
- Cost: $5 adults. Audio guide $7, includes admission.
- Hours: 10am- 5pm, Tues.- Sun. in Jan & Feb; Tues.- Sun. in March; daily Apr- Oct; Tues-Sun in Nov & Dec.
- Website: www.betsyrosshouse.org
- Location: Old City
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We're here! Read more
We left New Jersey and went straight to our hotel The Windsor Suites. Read more
Hello - Want to plan a summer vacation within driving (up to 10 hours drive) distance of Philadelphia, PA. Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more