- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
The most direct route from Philadelphia to Gettysburg from Lancaster is to take I-76, the Pennsylvania Turnpike, west to U.S. Route 15 South to U.S. Route 30, which takes you into downtown. From Lancaster, take PA Route 462 West to U.S. Route 30. Once in Gettysburg, you can park your car in town and walk to restaurants, shops, and some attractions, including the David Wills House and the Shriver House. But you will need to use your car to access the battlefield and visitor center.
The Gettysburg Convention and Visitors Bureau, in the former Western Maryland Railroad Passenger Depot, has free brochures and maps of area attractions. Be sure to pick up a self-guided walking-tour map of the town's historic district, centered on Baltimore Street. You can find a number of museums along the route, as well as markers that point out homes and sites significant to the history of the town and to the battle.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's