- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
The most direct route from Philadelphia to Gettysburg from Lancaster is to take the I-76, the Pennsylvania Turnpike, west to U.S. Route 15 South to U.S. Route 30, which takes you into the downtown. From Lancaster, take PA Route 462 West to U.S. Route 30. Once in Gettysburg, you can park your car in town and walk to restaurants, shops, and some attractions, including the David Wills House and the Shriver House. But you will need to use your car to access the battlefield and visitor center.
The Gettysburg Convention and Visitors Bureau, in the former Western Maryland Railroad Passenger Depot, has free brochures and maps of area attractions. Be sure to pick up a self-guided walking-tour map of the town's historic district, centered on Baltimore Street. You can find a number of museums along the route, as well as markers that point out homes and sites significant to the history of the town and to the battle.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $151.00 & up : 3.5-star hotels in Lancaster Hotwire
- Book in Lancaster Fr $80+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $13/night less
- $22.59 & up : Full Size rentals in Lancaster Hotwire
- $90.00 & up : 4-star hotels in Lancaster — $90 Hotwire
- $21.99 & up : Midsize rentals in Lancaster — $22 Hotwire