Pennsylvania Dutch Country Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go
Amish country life: Experience a traditional way of life that continues despite the intrusion of the modern world.
Lancaster's Central Market: Visit the nation's oldest continuously operating farmers' market, which dates to the 1730s.
Plenty in store: Shop till you drop in Adamstown, a small town with three major markets—Renninger's, Stoudt's Black Angus, and Shupp's Grove—selling all manner of antiques, collectibles, and coins.
Gettysburg Battlefield: This sacred ground offers a stirring history lesson about the U.S. Civil War. The new Gettysburg Museum and Visitor Center is worth a visit in itself, with state-of-the-art exhibits and the Gettysburg Cyclorama, an 1884 painting of Pickett's Charge, which if unfurled would be longer than a football field.
Sweet times: You can't go wrong with a visit to a place inspired and built by chocolate—Hershey—site of a grand hotel, famed amusement park, and other attractions. And in the humid summer months, cool down with some ice cream while learning how it's made at the Turkey Hill Experience.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe