- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Pennsbury Manor Review
On a gentle rise 150 yards from the Delaware River, Pennsbury Manor is a 1939 reconstruction of the Georgian-style mansion William Penn built in the 1680s. Living-history demonstrations on 43 of the estate's original 8,400 acres provide a glimpse of everyday life in 17th-century America. The property, including formal gardens, orchards, an icehouse, a smokehouse, and a bake-and-brew house, helps paint a picture of the life of an English gentleman 300 years ago. The plantation also shows that although history portrays Penn as a dour Quaker, as governor of the colony he enjoyed the good life by importing the finest provisions and keeping a vast retinue of servants. These extravagances led to financial difficulties that resulted in Penn's spending nine months in a debtor's prison. Though you can wander about the grounds on your own, the house can be seen only on a tour. On Sundays from April to October there are special programs, including those devoted to historic trades, living history theater, and open-hearth cooking, to name a few. To get here, follow the blue-and-yellow historical markers.
- Address: 400 Pennsbury Memorial Rd., between Morrisville and Bristol Morrisville, PA 19067 | Map It
- Phone: 215/946–0400
- Cost: $7
- Hours: Grounds Tues.–Sat. 9–5, Sun. noon–5. Tours Apr.–Nov., Tues.–Sat. at 10, 11:30, 2, and 3:30, Sun. at 12:30, 1:30, 2:30, and 3:30; Dec.–Mar., Tues.–Sat. at 11 and 2, Sun. at 2
- Website: www.pennsburymanor.org
- Location: Pennsbury Manor
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
That's quite a mouthful, so I'll just use Tinicum for short.
Today was a gorgeous spring day, the first day that really felt like spring all the way through. Happily, this was also the day chosen for ou Read more
We're here! Read more
What would be the best way to get from Philadelphia Convention Center to the airport (for two teachers) Airport Shuttle? Read more
· News & Features
Premium economy is the budding class of the airline world, but deciding on a carrier (and whether it’s... Read more
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more