- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The county seat, this charming small town was an important coach stop during the 18th century and today showcases Early American architecture. You can find Federal-style brick buildings on Lawyers' Row and gracious Queen Anne, Second Empire, and Italianate homes scattered about the nearby streets. The historic district, nearly 1,200 buildings, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Here you can find the locally owned shops and restaurants (Starbucks notwithstanding) that are fast disappearing elsewhere in the county. Some of Doylestown's most unusual buildings, however, are those built by the eccentric Henry Mercer on what is now known as Mercer Mile. His influence is also seen in the Mercer tiles found throughout the area.
Doylestown at a Glance
Elsewhere in Bucks County
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $55 -- Cirque du Soleil Big Top Show near Philly, Reg. $70 Cirque du Soleil