- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The county seat, this charming town was an important coach stop during the 18th century and today showcases Early American architecture. You can find Federal-style brick buildings on Lawyers' Row and gracious Queen Anne, Second Empire, and Italianate homes scattered about the nearby streets. A historic district of nearly 1,200 buildings, it's listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The locally owned shops and restaurants that are fast disappearing elsewhere in the county are hanging on bravely here. Some of Doylestown's most unusual buildings, however, are those built by the eccentric Henry Mercer on what is sometimes referred to as Mercer Mile. His influence is also seen in the Mercer tiles found throughout the area.
Doylestown at a Glance
Elsewhere in Bucks County
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's