- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
University of Oregon
University of Oregon Review
The true heart of Eugene lies southeast of the city center at its university. Several fine old buildings can be seen on the 250-acre campus; Deady Hall, built in 1876, is the oldest. More than 400 varieties of trees grace the bucolic grounds, along with outdoor sculptures that include The Pioneer and The Pioneer Mother. The two bronze figures by Alexander Phimster Proctor were dedicated to the men and women who settled the Oregon Territory and less than a generation later founded the university.
Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art. Works from the 20th and 21st centuries are a specialty in these handsome galleries, which feature works by many leading Pacific Northwest artists. European, Korean, Chinese, and Japanese works are also on view, as are 300 works commissioned by the Works Progress Administration in the 1930s and '40s. 1430 Johnson La., 97403. 541/346-3027. jsma.uoregon.edu. $5. Tues. and Thurs.-Sun. 11-5, Wed. 11-8.
University of Oregon Museum of Natural and Cultural History. Relics of a more local nature are on display at the University of Oregon Museum of Natural History, devoted to Pacific Northwest anthropology and the natural sciences. Its highlights include the fossil collection of Thomas Condon, Oregon's first geologist, and a pair of 9,000-year-old sandals made of sgaebrush. 1680 E. 15th Ave., 97403. 541/346-3024. www.natural-history.uoregon.edu. $3, free on Wed. Wed.-Sun. 11-5.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $64.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Eugene Hotwire
- $144 & Up: Cheap Eugene Stay Save with Hotels.com, $32/night less
- $16.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Eugene Hotwire
- Book 3 Nts in Eugene this May Fr $165+/Nt — $165 Save with Expedia, $38/night less
- $18.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Eugene — $19 Hotwire
This past weekend I travelled with a group of friends to Southern Oregon.- started in Eugene We travelled south on I-5 to Oakland, an old historic town. The main street consists mostly of antique stores Read more
Back home safe and sound...had a wonderful trip and enjoyed seeing 'new for us' territories!
We left Sun City at 3 on April 1..Easter Monday and drove to Flagstaff. Desert flowers were beautiful Read more
For the first time in 20+ years, The North entrance of Crater Lake NP has opened before Memorial Day.
By no means is all of the snow in the park melted. The East Rim and Pinnacles roads will remain closed, Read more
· News & Features
The Swiss city of Basel is getting ready to host to the who's who of the art world yet again, with the... Read more
Do you suffer from Vacation Deprivation?... Read more
Steinbeck said it well—no matter how many plans you make, its the destination that scoops you up... Read more