Recreational Area in Waldport
Drift Creek Wilderness. East of Waldport lies some of the rare, old-growth Siuslaw forest that has triggered battles between the timber industry and environmentalists. Hemlocks hundreds of years old grow in parts of this 9-sqare-mile area. The 2-mile Harris Ranch Trail winds past these ancient giants—you may even see a spotted owl. The Siuslaw National Forest–Waldport Ranger Station provides directions and maps. No motorized vehicles are permitted in the wilderness. Risely Creek Rd., 7 miles east of Waldport via Hwy. 34 to Alsea River crossing, Waldport, OR, 97394. 541/563–8400. www.fs.usda.gov. Ranger Station: weekdays 8–4.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's