- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Steamboat Inn
At a Glance
- good option if en route to Crater Lake
- access to some of the best fishing in the West
- great escape
- extremely far from civilization
The Steamboat Inn Review
Every fall a who's who of the world's top fly-fishermen converges at this secluded forest inn, high in the Cascades above the emerald North Umpqua River, in search of the 20-pound steelhead that haunt these waters; guide services are available, as are equipment rentals and sales. Others come simply to relax in the reading nooks or on the broad decks of the riverside guest cabins nestled below soaring fir trees and surrounded by verdant gardens. Lodging choices include riverside cabins, forest bungalows (some sleep up to six), and riverside suites; the bungalows and suites have kitchens. Make reservations well in advance, especially for a stay between July and October, the prime fishing months. The exceptionally good restaurant, which offers occasional winemaker and guest-chef dinners, caters primarily to guests, but also has a limited number of tables available by reservation. It's also open for breakfast and lunch to the general public.
- Address: 42705 N. Umpqua Hwy., 38 mi east of Roseburg on Hwy. 138, near Steamboat Creek Idleyld Park, OR 97447 | Map It
- Phone: 541/498–2230; 800/840–8825
- Website: www.thesteamboatinn.com
- Location: Roseburg
- 8 cabins, 5 cottages, 2 suites, 5 houses.
- Rate includes some meals, no meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
I've spent the past two months writing, narrating, and editing together this traditionally styled travelogue about a ridiculous loop drive (done traditionally as well: byways, no GPS, no hotels) in a ridiculous Read more
My sis lives in Boise and I live near Seattle, so we decided on a quick girls-getaway to the Columbia Gorge, about 5 hours away from each of us. Read more
· News & Features
With Art Basel Miami now in town, it's prime time to consider the 7 reasons why you should be taking a... Read more
New York City offers irresistible retail therapy during the holiday season.... Read more
Next year, crazed soccer fans the world will descend upon Brazil, host of the 2014 World Cup.... Read more