Mobile AppDownload Portland - Fodor's Travel for FREE!
Powell's City of Books
Powell's City of Books Review
The largest independent bookstore in the world, with more than 1.5 million new and used books, this Portland landmark can easily consume several hours. It's so big it has its own map available at the info kiosks, and rooms are color-coded according to the types of books, so you can find your way out again. Be sure to look for the pillar bearing signatures of prominent sci-fi authors who have passed through the store—the scrawls are protected by a jagged length of Plexiglas. At the very least, stop into Powell's for a peek or grab a cup of coffee at the adjoining branch of World Cup Coffee and Tea.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We decided to celebrate the start of summer with a road trip to Coastal Maine from our home in Toronto a couple of weeks ago. Posts... Read more
My husband and I - youthful 60-somethings - just returned from a summer trip to New England, which included two and a half days in Portla... Read more