- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
One of the largest city parks in the country, 5,100-acre Forest Park stretches eight miles along the hills overlooking the Willamette River west of downtown. More than 70 miles of trails through forests of Douglas-fir, hemlock, and cedar (including a few patches of old growth) offer numerous options for those looking to log some miles or spend some time outside. The Wildwood Trail, which starts at the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial in Hoyt Arboretum and stretches 30 miles to Newberry Road, serves as the backbone for many loop or spur trail routes. Trailheads easily accessible from Nob Hill begin at the west ends of NW Thurman and Upshur streets.
Forest Park at a Glance
Elsewhere in Portland
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's