Fishing in Portland
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Columbia and Willamette rivers are major sportfishing streams, with opportunities for angling virtually year-round. Though salmon can still be caught here, runs have been greatly reduced in both rivers in recent years, and the Willamette River is still plagued by pollution. Nevertheless, the Willamette still offers prime fishing for bass, channel catfish, sturgeon, crappies, perch, panfish, and crayfish. It's also a good stream for winter steelhead. June is the top shad month, with some of the best fishing occurring below Willamette Falls at Oregon City. The Columbia River is known for its salmon, sturgeon, walleye, and smelt. The Sandy and Clackamas rivers, near Mt. Hood, are smaller waterways popular with local anglers.
Outfitters throughout Portland operate guide services. Few outfitters rent equipment, though, so bring your own or be prepared to buy.
Northwest Flyfishing Outfitters specializes in all things fly-fishing, including tackle, rentals, and guided outings. 10910 NE Halsey St., East of Willamette River, Portland, OR, 97220. 503/252-1529 or 888/292-1137.
Local sport shops are the best sources of information on current fishing hot spots, which change from year to year.
Detailed fishing regulations are available from the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife. 17330 SE Evelyn St., Clackamas, OR, 97015. 503/947-6000. www.dfw.state.or.us.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Look no Further! Portland Hotels Fr $129+/Nt Travelocity
- Book the Marriott Portland City Center 3 Nts in May Fr $218+/Nt Expedia
- Travel for Less! 4 Nts Red Lion Portland Airport + Air Fr $303 Expedia
- $10.95 & up : Compact rentals in Portland Hotwire
- Visit Portland for Less: Hotels Fr $85+/Nt — $85 Travelocity