- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
At a Glance
- idyllic location
- friendly owners
- no Internet
Hotel Diamond Review
In the early 1900s the Hotel Diamond served the local population of ranchers, Basque sheepherders, and cowhands. Now it caters to the birders, naturalists, and high-desert lovers who flock to the Malheur refuge. The air-conditioned rooms are clean, comfortable, and pleasantly furnished with an eclectic mix of furniture, including wicker chairs, old wooden desks, and four-poster beds. From the comfortable screen porch guests can look out on the hotel's towering, narrow Lombardy poplars, often planted as de facto fences in ranch country. Family-style meals are served both to hotel guests and to the general public at 6:30 pm, by reservation only. A complimentary breakfast is served in the lounge. The hotel, owned and operated by a fifth-generation ranch family, is also the only place in town to buy gas or groceries.
- Address: 49130 Main St., 10 mi east of Hwy. 205 Diamond, OR 97722 | Map It
- Phone: 541/493–1898
- Hours: Closed Nov.–March
- Website: www.central-oregon.com/hoteldiamond
- Location: Diamond
- 8 rooms: 5 upstairs with 2 shared baths; 3 suites downstairs, each with private bath.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
I've spent the past two months writing, narrating, and editing together this traditionally styled travelogue about a ridiculous loop drive (done traditionally as well: byways, no GPS, no hotels) in a ridiculous Read more
My sis lives in Boise and I live near Seattle, so we decided on a quick girls-getaway to the Columbia Gorge, about 5 hours away from each of us. Read more
· News & Features
With Art Basel Miami now in town, it's prime time to consider the 7 reasons why you should be taking a ... Read more
New York City offers irresistible retail therapy during the holiday season.... Read more
Next year, crazed soccer fans the world will descend upon Brazil, host of the 2014 World Cup.... Read more