- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Alvord Desert Review
With the eastern face of Steens Mountain in the background, the Alvord Desert conjures up Western movie scenes of parched cowboys riding through the desert—though today you're more likely to see wind sailors scooting across these hard-packed alkali flats (the "playa") and glider pilots using the basin as a runway. But once they go home, this desert is deserted. Snowmelt from Steens Mountain can turn it into a shallow lake until as late as mid-July. The mostly gravel Fields-Denio Road runs alongside the playa, accessing a number of rutted tracks maintained by the Bureau of Land Management.
At the south end of the road, Fields Station pretty much is the town of Fields, an all-in-one post office, general store, motel, and café. The old-fashioned milkshakes at this desert outpost are themselves worth the drive, made with old-school fountain syrups and served in enormous, 24-oz plastic cups. 22276 Fields Dr., 97710. 541/495-2275. www.fieldsoregon.com.
If the milkshakes aren't enough to justify a desert trip, then come for the Alvord Hot Springs. Though the land is privately owned, the public is welcome to use the two concrete pools taking on superheated water from the nearby springs. From this roadside, ramshackle soaking station, the view of Steens Mountain is superb. Be warned, though, Alvord is a nudity-friendly spring. Off Fields-Denio Rd., 23 mi north of Fields, 97710. Free.
- Address: From Frenchglen take Hwy. 205 south for about 33 mi until road ends at T-junction near town of Fields; go left (north) to Alvord Desert and Alvord Hot Springs., Frenchglen, OR, 97710
- Location: Frenchglen
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Pendleton Savings! Book at Knights Inn Pendleton Fr $49+/Nt Expedia
- $53.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Pendleton Hotwire
- Pendleton Savings! Book at Oxford Suites Pendleton Fr $121+/Nt — $121 Expedia
- Book the Econo Lodge Pendleton 3 Nts in May Fr $61+/Nt — $61 Expedia
- Save in Pendleton: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $116+/Nt — $116 Expedia
This past weekend I travelled with a group of friends to Southern Oregon.- started in Eugene We travelled south on I-5 to Oakland, an old historic town. The main street consists mostly of antique stores Read more
Back home safe and sound...had a wonderful trip and enjoyed seeing 'new for us' territories!
We left Sun City at 3 on April 1..Easter Monday and drove to Flagstaff. Desert flowers were beautiful Read more
Just starting to plan a possible drive and wondering if a good time to go to avoid crowds would be the end of August/first of September. Read more
· News & Features
A New York City judge has ruled against the use of apartments for "transient tenants," which includes... Read more
Memorial Day is the unofficial start of what we like to call "weekend getaway season."... Read more
Wineries have a very obvious main draw.... Read more