- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
At 4,800 feet, Lakeview is the highest town in Oregon. For years, it's been anchored by the Old Perpetual Geyser at Hunter's Hot Springs, which erupted up to 60 feet every 90 seconds. The geyser's been dormant since 2009, however, possibly as a result the town's digging a geothermal well nearby. The Abert Rim is still there, though, about 20 mi to the north of town, the region's best-known fault scarp. The ridge is more than 2,000 feet deep and 30 mi long. The Lakeview area is considered one of the state's best for hang gliding, rockhounding, fishing, and enjoying winter sports.
Lakeview at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in Eastern Oregon
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's