Getting Here in John Day Fossil Beds National Monument
Reach the Sheep Rock Unit of the John Day Fossil Beds Monument driving 38 mi west of John Day on U.S. 26, then 2 mi north on Highway 19. The Painted Hills unit is an additional 35 mi west on U.S. 26. To reach the Clarno unit, follow Highway 19 north from the Sheep Rock Unit, 60 mi northwest to Fossil. From Fossil, drive west on Highway 218 for 20 mi to the entrance. Be prepared to stop for frequent roadside interpretive exhibits between the three units. The fossil beds are between Eastern Oregon Regional Airport, 144 mi northeast in Pendleton, and Roberts Field-Redmond Municipal Airport, 104 mi west in Redmond.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's