- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Halfway, the closest town to Hells Canyon, got its name because it was midway between the town of Pine and the gold mines of Cornucopia. The mines are long gone now, but this small, straightforward town on the southern flanks of the Wallowas has an appealing main street and a quiet rural flavor. Most visitors to Halfway are prepping for Hells Canyon or passing through along the scenic Wallowa Mountain Loop.
Halfway at a Glance
Elsewhere in Eastern Oregon
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's