- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Frenchglen, the tiny town near the base of Steens Mountain, has no more than a handful of residents, and in the off-season offers no basic services to travelers. In other words: eat first. The only lodging in town, the historic Frenchglen Hotel, is a true classic of Oregon hostelry. In the spring and summer Frenchglen's main street is crowded with birders on break from exploring the adjacent Malheur refuge. The popular Steens Mountain Loop begins and ends here, and the town makes a nice setting-off point for adventures in the remote Alvord Desert.
Frenchglen at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in Eastern Oregon
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe