- Wallowa wonder The usually snowcapped peaks of the Wallowa Range ornament one of the West's most overlooked alpine playgrounds, with Wallowa Lake resting at its base.
- Time travel See architecture from Oregon's mining-era heyday in Baker City's authentically restored downtown, where a short walking tour takes you past more than 100 historic buildings.
- For the birds Visit countless feathered friends at the ruggedly idyllic Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.
- Let 'er buck Pendleton's famous rodeo attracts 50,000 people every September, but the cowboy mystique sticks around all year.
- Canyon country Oregon doesn't get more remote than along the wild and scenic Owyhee River or among the fascinating formations at Leslie Gulch. Only serious adventurers need apply.
Need a break from the big city? View 42-hour itineraries from 13 cities.More