Crater Lake National Park Travel Guide
Fodor's Pacific Northwest
The pure, crystalline blue of Crater Lake astounds visitors at first sight. More than 5 mi wide and ringed by cliffs almost 2,000 feet high, the lake was created approximately 7,700 years ago, following Mt. Mazama's fiery explosion. Days after the eruption, the mountain collapsed on an underground chamber emptied of lava. Rain and snowmelt filled the caldera, creating a sapphire-blue lake so clear that sunlight penetrates to a depth of 400 feet (the lake's depth is 1,943 feet). Today it's both the clearest and deepest lake in the United States—and the seventh deepest in the world.
Crater Lake's summer season is relatively brief, and the park's main lodge is generally booked with guest reservations a year in advance. If you don't snag...read more
There are a few casual eateries and convenience stores within the park. For fantastic upscale dining on the caldera's rim, head to the Crater Lake Lodge...read more
Things To Do in Crater Lake National Park
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- $69.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Klamath Falls Hotwire
- 3-Star Running Y Ranch Fr $116+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $12/night less
- $56.66 & up : Full Size rentals in Klamath Falls Hotwire
- Save in Klamath Falls: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $83+/Nt — $83 Expedia
- $51.66 & up : Midsize rentals in Klamath Falls — $52 Hotwire
The lake: Cruise inside the caldera basin and gaze into the extraordinary sapphire blue water of the country's deepest lake.... Read more
Two primary types of fish swim beneath the surface of Crater Lake: kokanee salmon and rainbow trout. It's estimated that hundreds of thousands... Read more
Crater Lake National Park: A Global Treasure, by former park rangers Ann and Myron Sutton, celebrates the park's first 100 years with stunning... Read more
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City.... Read more
Summertime is practically synonymous with road trips.... Read more
A family trip to Hawaii's Big Island would be one filled with outdoor thrills, animal adventures, and... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
· Travel Planner
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
This past weekend I travelled with a group of friends to Southern Oregon.- started in Eugene We travelled south on I-5 to Oakland, an old historic town. The main street consists mostly of antique stores Read more
Back home safe and sound...had a wonderful trip and enjoyed seeing 'new for us' territories!
We left Sun City at 3 on April 1..Easter Monday and drove to Flagstaff. Desert flowers were beautiful Read more