When to Go
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
When to Go
Central Oregon is a popular destination year-round. Skiers and snowboarders come from mid-December through March, when the powder is deepest and driest. During this time, guests flock to the hotels and resorts along Century Drive, which leads from Bend to Mount Bachelor. In summer, when temperatures reach the upper 80s, travelers are more likely to spread throughout the region. But temperatures fall as the elevation rises, so take a jacket if you're heading out for an evening at the high lakes or Newberry Crater.
You'll pay a premium at the mountain resorts during ski season, and Sunriver and other family and golf resorts are busiest in summer. It's best to make reservations as far in advance as possible; six months in advance is not too early.
The Sisters Rodeo takes place in June, the Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show in July, and Bend's Pole, Pedal, Paddle —a popular ski, bike, run, and kayak/canoe race—is in May. The Sisters Folk Festival, a celebration of American roots music, is in September. Bend celebrates the seasons with a Fall Festival in mid-September, Summer Festival in July and WinterFest in February, featuring outdoor sports, ice carving, live music, beer, and wine.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe