Getting Here and Around
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Air Travel. Visitors fly into Roberts Field-Redmond Municipal Airport (RDM; 541/548-0646), about 10 mi north of downtown Bend. Rental cars are available for pickup at the airport from several national agencies. The Redmond Airport Shuttle (541/382-1687 or 888/664-8449 www.redmondairportshuttle.net) provides transportation throughout the region (reservations requested); a ride from the airport to downtown Bend costs about $33. Taxis are available at curbside, or can be summoned from the call-board inside the airport; a cab ride to Bend from the airport is about $40. Portland's airport is 160 mi northwest of Bend.
Bus Travel. Greyhound's (541/382-2151 or 800/231-2222 www.greyhound.com) only service in central Oregon is a shuttle from Salem to Bend. The Central Oregon Breeze (541/389-7469 or 800/847-0157 www.cobreeze.com), a regional carrier, runs one bus a day each way between Portland and Bend, with stops in Redmond and Madras. It also serves Prineville by reservation. Cascades East Transit (541/385-8680 or 866/385-8680 www.cascadeseasttransit.com) is Bend's intercity bus service, and connects Redmond, Prineville, and Sisters. Trips require a reservation.
Car Travel. U.S. 20 heads west from Idaho and east from the coastal town of Newport into central Oregon. U.S. 26 goes southeast from Portland to Prineville, where it heads northeast into the Ochoco National Forest. U.S. 97 heads north from California and south from Washington to Bend. Highway 126 travels east from Eugene to Prineville; it connects with U.S. 20 heading south (to Bend) at Sisters. Major roads throughout central Oregon are well maintained and open throughout the winter season, although it's always advisable to have tire chains in the car. Some roads are closed by snow during winter, including Oregon 242. Check the Oregon Department of Transportation's TripCheck (www.tripcheck.com) or call ODOT ( 800/977-ODOT).
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Visit Redmond for Less: Hotels Fr $54+/Nt Travelocity
- Redmond Savings! Book at Sleep Inn & Suites Redmond Fr $126+/Nt Expedia
- $19.95 & up : Compact rentals in Redmond Hotwire
- $81.00 & up : 3.5-star hotels in Redmond — $81 Hotwire
- $20.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Redmond — $21 Hotwire