- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Smith Rock State Park. Eight miles north of Redmond, this park is world famous for rock climbing, with hundreds of routes of all levels of difficulty. A network of trails serves both climbers and families dropping in for the scenery. In addition to the stunning rock formations, the Crooked River, which helped shape these features, loops through the park. You might spot golden eagles, prairie falcons, mule deer, river otters, and beavers. Due to the environmental sensitivity of the region, the animal leash law is strongly enforced. It can get quite hot in midsummer, so most prefer to climb in the spring and fall. The stunning scenery—specifically, a view of the river curving through the high rocks—was adopted by Deschutes Brewery for its Twilight Summer Ale label. Off U.S. 97, 9241 N.E. Crooked River Dr., Redmond, OR, 97760. 541/548-7501 or 800/551-6949. www.oregonstateparks.org. Day use $5 per vehicle.
Smith Rock Climbing Guides. Professionals with emergency medical training take visitors to the Smith Rock formation for climbs of all levels of difficulty; they also supply equipment. Guided climbs—you meet at the rock—can run a half day or full day, and are priced according to the number of people. Redmond, OR. 541/788-6225. www.smithrockclimbingguides.com.
More Sports and Outdoors
- Rock Climbing
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Small budget: Book Super 8 Redmond 3 Nts in May Fr $75+/Nt Save with Expedia, $19/night less
- $68.00 & up : 3.5-star hotels in Redmond Hotwire
- $17.46 & up : Midsize rentals in Redmond Hotwire
- Book Now & Save! Redmond Fr $58+/Nt — $58 Travelocity
- $16.82 & up : Compact rentals in Redmond — $17 Hotwire