Columbus Zoo and Aquarium
Columbus Zoo and Aquarium Review
Zoo director emeritus "Jungle Jack" Hanna draws the late-night spotlight to the Columbus Zoo with his regular appearances, along with his cadre of animals, on the Late Show with David Letterman. The 588-acre zoo lies along the Scioto River, about 25 mi northwest of Downtown. Sights include a 100,000-gallon coral reef exhibit, one of the largest reptile collections in the United States and the largest manatee exhibit outside Florida. The newest exhibit is Asia Quest, which showcases fascinating Himalayan creatures like Siberian tigers, red pandas, and sun bears.
In 2006 the zoo bought the adjacent Wyandot Lake theme park from Six Flags and is renovating it in time to open for the 2008 season. The updated park will feature a theme park side and a water park side, as well as golf and, eventually, a hotel and indoor water park. The zoo and expanded theme park will share a common entrance, and visitors to both will receive discounted admissions.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $60.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Columbus Hotwire
- $40 & Up: Cheap Columbus Stay Hotels.com
- Super Sale! 7 Nts BEST WESTERN PLUS Port Columbus + Air Fr $511 Travelocity
- $92.00 & up : 4-star hotels in Columbus — $92 Hotwire
- Look no Further! Columbus 7 Nts + Air as Low as $752 — $752 Travelocity
We (4 adults) took our quick weekend trip to Cleveland (Saturday to Monday) and had a great time - many thanks to all who contributed!
Our first stop on the journey from Detroit to Cleveland was a stop Read more
The Amtrak rail works after 11 pm until early morning at Cincinnati Union Station within Cincinnati Museum Center. Read more
We are planning to visit Cedar Point on a couple of weekdays during the third week of June. Read more