Fountain Square Review
Everything and everyone from parades to politicians stop here at the center of Downtown. The centerpiece of this Queen City landmark is the Tyler Davidson Fountain, which was cast in 1867 at the Royal Bavarian Foundry in Munich, Germany. The fountain depicts the importance of water through the use of 13 allegorical figures. The main female figure, called the Genius of Water, stands with her arms stretched out, and water sprays from the palms of her hands. The city cleaned and moved the fountain as part of a $43 million renovation of the square and its underground parking facilities in 2005 and 2006 that yielded a more open configuration, a giant outdoor video screen, and, in the winter, an expanded ice rink. The square is a popular lunch spot in fair weather, as well as being the site of the city's annual Oktoberfest ceremony.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I booked two reservations to stay at the Hawthorn Suites North Dayton for the week of 3/18-25/13. Read more
We (4 adults) took our quick weekend trip to Cleveland (Saturday to Monday) and had a great time - many thanks to all who contributed!
Our first stop on the journey from Detroit to Cleveland was a stop Read more
My boyfriend and I have a little over a week where we are both off work/school. Read more