Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal
Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal Review
One of the best examples of art deco architecture in the country, Union Terminal simplified a muddled infrastructure of five train stations and seven lines when it was built in 1933. Now the West End's best-known landmark houses three museums, an OMNIMAX Theater, and Cincinnati's functioning Amtrak terminal. Large mosaic tile murals dating from the 1930s adorn the interior rotunda, and come summer kids frolic around the stair-stepped fountains near the evergreen-landscaped entrance.
Cincinnati's golden years are recalled at the Cincinnati History Museum. You can walk down a re-created city street from the early 1900s, interact with interpretive historians in period dress, and view dozens of Queen City artifacts, along with vintage automobiles and a 1920s streetcar.
At the Cinergy Children's Museum kids can climb, crawl, and explore the world around them. Play areas include a forest with a two-story treehouse, a construction site, an energy zone with pedals and pulleys, and a waterworks with small boats and a series of locks. For kids up to 10 years of age.
You can get a close-up look at whales, volcanoes, Mount Everest, and other wonders at the Linder Family OMNIMAX Theater. Movies are shown on a five-story, 72-foot-wide domed screen.
Exhibits at the Museum of Natural History and Science take you on a journey back in time, from the age of the dinosaurs through the English Renaissance and the Wild West. There's a colony of bats and underground waterfalls in a replica of a limestone cave.
You can buy individual tickets or a combination ticket that gives you entry to multiple museums and the theater.
- Address: 1301 Western Ave., off I–75 at Ezzard Charles Dr. West End, Cincinnati, OH 45203 | Map It
- Phone: 513/287–7000; 800/733–2077
- Cost: 1 attraction $7.25, 2 attractions $10.25, 3 attractions $13.25, 4 attractions $16.25, 5 attractions $19.25
- Hours: Museums Mon.–Sat. 10–5, Sun. 11–6. OMNIMAX showtimes vary but are on the hr
- Website: www.cincymuseum.com
- Location: Cincinnati
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I booked two reservations to stay at the Hawthorn Suites North Dayton for the week of 3/18-25/13. Read more
We (4 adults) took our quick weekend trip to Cleveland (Saturday to Monday) and had a great time - many thanks to all who contributed!
Our first stop on the journey from Detroit to Cleveland was a stop Read more
Have any of you been to the Perfect North Slopes in Indiana? Read more