- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Asheville Regional Airport (AVL), one of the most pleasant and modern small airports in the South, is served by Allegiant, Delta, United, and US Airways. Most of the flights are on regional jets. A $20-million expansion and improvement project was completed in 2009. There are nonstop flights to and from Atlanta, Charlotte, Chicago, Detroit, Houston, Orlando, Philadelphia, New York's LaGuardia, Newark, and Washington, D.C. Some flights are seasonal.
South Carolina's Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport (GSP), 75 minutes from Asheville, is convenient to parts of the Southern Mountains. It has service by Allegiant, American Eagle, Delta, United, Southwest, and US Airways. Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT), a major hub for US Airways with service by about a half dozen other airlines including Air Canada, Lufthansa, and JetBlue, is about a two-hour drive from Asheville and Boone.
Asheville Regional Airport (708 Airport Rd., Fletcher, NC, 28732. 828/684–2226. www.flyavl.com.)
Charlotte Douglas International Airport (5501 Josh Birmingham Pkwy., Charlotte, NC, 28208. 704/916–2200. www.charlottedouglasintlairport.com.)
Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport (2000 GSP Dr., Greer, SC, 29651. 864/989–0788. www.gspairport.com.)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's