- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The buzz about the North Carolina Mountains dates back to the early 19th century, when wealthy Lowcountry planters flocked to the highlands to escape the summer heat. Today visitors still come here to enjoy the cool, green mountains and all the activities they provide—hiking, camping, fishing, boating, and just marveling at the scenery. Asheville, the hub of the mountain region, is one of the biggest small cities you'll ever visit, with the artsy élan and dynamic downtown of a much larger burg.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's