Pack Square Park
Pack Square Park Review
Reopened in 2009-2010 after an $18 million renovation, the former City-County Plaza is a great place to relax downtown. At Pack Square there's a stone-and-bronze fountain designed by local sculptor Hoss Haley, and the Zebulon Vance Monument honoring a North Carolina governor. Princeton elms, London plane trees, black gum trees, and hornbeam trees provide plenty of shade. At the eastern edge of the park in Roger McGuire Green is Splashville, a large fountain where in warm weather you'll see hundreds of kids, and even some adults, playing in the water. There's also a stage lined with colorful tiles by local ceramist Kathy Triplett, a grassy amphitheater, and a veterans monument.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's