Mt. Mitchell State Park
Mt. Mitchell State Park Review
This park includes the highest mountain peak east of the Rockies, 6,684-foot Mt. Mitchell. The summit was named after Elisha Mitchell, who died from a fall while trying to prove the mountain's true height. At the 1,855-acre park you can climb an observation tower and get food (May-October) at a restaurant claimed to be the highest elevation restaurant in the eastern United States. Keep an eye on the weather here, as high winds and snow can occur at almost any time, occasionally even in summer. Clouds obscure the views here for at least parts of 8 days out of 10.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's