- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Biltmore Estate Review
Built in the 1890s as the private home of George Vanderbilt, the astonishing 250-room French-Renaissance château is America's largest private home. Some of Vanderbilt's descendants still live on the estate, but the bulk of the house and grounds is open to visitors. Richard Morris Hunt designed it, and Frederick Law Olmsted landscaped the original 125,000-acre estate (now 8,000 acres). It took 1,000 workers five years to complete the gargantuan project. On view are the priceless antiques and art collected by the Vanderbilts, including notable paintings by Renoir and John Singer Sargent, along with 75 acres of gardens and formally landscaped grounds. You can also see the state-of-the-art winery, one of the largest in the East, and an 1890s-era farm, River Bend. Candlelight tours of the house are offered at Christmastime. Also on the grounds are a deluxe hotel, seven restaurants, and an equestrian center. A new section called Antler Hill Village, with shops, restaurants, and crafts demonstrations, opened in 2010. Each summer, Biltmore Estate hosts music concerts with nationally known entertainers. Most people tour the house on their own, but guided tours are available. Note that there are a lot of stairs to climb, but much of the house is accessible for guests in wheelchairs or with limited mobility. At busier times, self-guided visits of the interior of the house now require a reservation, so call in advance or book online. Save money by buying tickets online rather than at the gate, with the lowest prices for tickets purchased seven days in advance. The best deal is the annual pass, allowing unlimited admission for a year and costing only a little more than one-day admission.
- Address: 1 Approach Rd., Biltmore Village, Asheville, NC 28803 | Map It
- Phone: 828/225–1600
- Cost: $59 Sun.–Fri., $69 Sat. Discounts available with advance purchase online and at certain times of the year.
- Hours: Late Mar.–early Nov., daily 9–4; late-Nov.–early Mar., hrs vary.
- Website: www.biltmore.com
- Location: Asheville
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Needing to see some spring flowers and warmer weather, we headed to North Carolina last week to check out Bryson City, Cherokee and do some hiking in the Great Smoky Mountains.
We stayed at the Hampto Read more
Last year during end of December, I went for a cross country road trip from San Diego to somewhere east of it. Read more
Ideas for a cute town, good food for a stop halfway from Charleston to Richmond. Read more
· News & Features
Premium economy is the budding class of the airline world, but deciding on a carrier (and whether it’s... Read more
San Juan's balmy temperatures, gorgeous beaches, and charming, historic buildings make it the perfec... Read more
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more