- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Biltmore Estate Review
Built in the 1890s as the private home of George Vanderbilt, the astonishing 250-room French-Renaissance château is America's largest private home. Some of Vanderbilt's descendants still live on the estate, but the bulk of the house and grounds is open to visitors. Richard Morris Hunt designed it, and Frederick Law Olmsted landscaped the original 125,000-acre estate (now 8,000 acres). It took 1,000 workers five years to complete the gargantuan project. On view are the priceless antiques and art collected by the Vanderbilts, including notable paintings by Renoir and John Singer Sargent, along with 75 acres of gardens and formally landscaped grounds. You can also see the state-of-the-art winery, one of the largest in the East, and an 1890s-era farm, River Bend. Candlelight tours of the house are offered at Christmastime. Also on the grounds are a deluxe hotel, seven restaurants, and an equestrian center. A new section called Antler Hill Village, with shops, restaurants, and crafts demonstrations, opened in 2010. Each summer, Biltmore Estate hosts music concerts with nationally known entertainers. Most people tour the house on their own, but guided tours are available. Note that there are a lot of stairs to climb, but much of the house is accessible for guests in wheelchairs or with limited mobility. At busier times, self-guided visits of the interior of the house now require a reservation, so call in advance or book online. Save money by buying tickets online rather than at the gate, with the lowest prices for tickets purchased seven days in advance. The best deal is the annual pass, allowing unlimited admission for a year and costing only a little more than one-day admission.
- Address: 1 Approach Rd., Biltmore Village, Asheville, NC 28803 | Map It
- Phone: 828/225–1600
- Cost: $59 Sun.–Fri., $69 Sat. Discounts available with advance purchase online and at certain times of the year.
- Hours: Late Mar.–early Nov., daily 9–4; late-Nov.–early Mar., hrs vary.
- Website: www.biltmore.com
- Location: Asheville
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Last year during end of December, I went for a cross country road trip from San Diego to somewhere east of it. Read more
This is a beautiful peak near Charlotte, at 5,946 feet (1,812 m), it is the highest peak on the eastern side of the Blue Ridge Mountains, one of the major chains of the Appalachian Mountains. Read more
My husband and I are going via pop-up to the smokies and back to Maryland. Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more