- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Grandfather Mountain Review
Soaring to almost 6,000 feet, Grandfather Mountain is just off the Parkway at mile marker 305. It is famous for its Mile-High Swinging Bridge, a 228-foot-long bridge that sways over a 1,000-foot drop into the Linville Valley. The Natural History Museum has exhibits on native minerals, flora and fauna, and pioneer life. There are 12 miles of nature trails and some 100 picnic tables. The annual Singing on the Mountain, (fourth Sunday in June) is an opportunity to hear old-time gospel music and preaching, and the Highland Games (second weekend in July) bring together Scottish clans from all over North America for athletic events and Highland dancing.
- Address: Blue Ridge Pkwy. and U.S. Hwy. 221, Linville, NC 28646 | Map It
- Phone: 828/733–4337; 800/468–7325
- Cost: $18; children 4–12, $8
- Hours: mid-Mar.–mid-Jun., daily 8–6; mid-Jun.–mid-Sep., daily 8–7; mid-Sep.–mid-Dec., daily 8–6; mid-Dec.–mid-Mar., daily 9–5
- Website: www.grandfather.com
- Location: Blue Ridge Parkway
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Needing to see some spring flowers and warmer weather, we headed to North Carolina last week to check out Bryson City, Cherokee and do some hiking in the Great Smoky Mountains.
We stayed at the Hampto Read more
Last year during end of December, I went for a cross country road trip from San Diego to somewhere east of it. Read more
If you plan to visit Asheville on a weekend this spring, better book your hotel or B&B room ahead. Read more
· News & Features
For a lover of brews, there's no place quite like New Zealand. ... Read more
Travel is as much about the journey as the destination.... Read more