The North Carolina Mountains Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Chocoholics beware! You won't be able to resist these Asheville chocolatiers. And if you're here in early December, don't miss the Chocolate and Arts festival at the U.S. Cellular Center (formerly Asheville Civic Center), with crafts, world music, and, of course, lots of chocolate.
Chocolate Fetish (36 Haywood St. 828/258-2353 www.chocolatefetish.com) is known for its truffles, with several dozen different versions to choose from. In season there are delicious chocolate-dipped local blackberries and raspberries. Chocolate Gems (25 Broadway 828/505-8596 www.chocgems.com) has good truffles and caramels, and the gelato is excellent. At French Broad Chocolate Lounge (10 S. Lexington Ave. 828/252-4181 www.frenchbroadchocolates.com) you can relax on a sofa, sip wine, and sample the handmade truffles or dark chocolate bars. Try the liquid sipping truffle, like hot chocolate but far richer. On weekend evenings, there's often a line out the door. French Broad Chocolate Factory & Tasting Room (21 Buxton Ave. 828/505-4996 www.frenchbroadchocolates.com) creates its sweets from bean to bar. The tasting room is open Tuesday through Saturday, noon to 5, with free tours Saturday at 2 pm.Updated: 09-2013
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's