The North Carolina Mountains Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Biltmore Estate is North Carolina's leading tourist attraction and boasts many superlatives. Biltmore Estate:
Is the largest private home in America, with 250 rooms in 175,000 square feet of living space.
Is America's most visited historic house with more than 1 million visitors annually.
Has appeared in more than a dozen movies, including The Swan (1956), Being There (1979),Richie Rich (1994), Forrest Gump (1994), My Fellow Americans (1996), Patch Adams (1998), and Hannibal (2001).
Has been visited by U.S. Presidents William McKinley, Woodrow Wilson, Richard Nixon, and Barack Obama.
Had many innovations rarely seen at the time, including fire alarms, elevators, an intercom system, and centrally controlled clocks.
Has its own bowling alley, 70,000-gallon indoor swimming pool, 10,000-volume library, and fully equipped gym.
Has more than 1,500 employees, making it one of Asheville's largest private employers.Updated: 09-2013
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's