The North Carolina Mountains Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go
Biltmore Estate: The 250-room Biltmore House, modeled after the great Renaissance châteaux of the Loire Valley in France, is the largest private home in America. It is the most-visited attraction in North Carolina.
Blue Ridge Parkway: This winding two-lane road, which ends at the edge of the Great Smokies and shows off the highest mountains in eastern America, is the most scenic drive in the South.
Asheville: Hip, artsy, sometimes funky, with scores of restaurants and active nightlife, Asheville is one of America's coolest places to live, and visit.
Engaging small towns: You could easily fall in love with the charm, style, and Southern hospitality of Black Mountain, Blowing Rock, Brevard, and Hendersonville, to name a few.
Mountain arts and crafts: The mountains are a center of handmade art and crafts, with more than 4,000 working craftspeople.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe