- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Lake Lure. The 720-acre Lake Lure draws some of the region's water-sports enthusiasts. You can rent boats (from kayaks and water bikes to pontoon boats) at the newly expanded marina or water ski, swim, fish, or splash in the water park. If you like it well enough to stay overnight, the historic Lake Lure Inn across from the beach area, which dates from 1927, has been refurbished, and other accommodations are nearby. The 1985 movie, Dirty Dancing, was filmed at Lake Lure, although the buildings seen in the movie were destroyed by a fire. A small sandy beach on Lake Lure is open Memorial Day to Labor Day, 10 to 6. Admission is $8 (children 4-12 are $6). U.S. Hwy. 64/74A, Lake Lure, NC, 28746. 828/625-9983 Town of Lake Lure. www.townoflakelure.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's