- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mingo Falls. A five-minute hike from the Mingo Falls Campground will reward you with a view of the beautiful 120-foot-high Mingo Falls. Mingo Falls is on the Cherokee Indian Reservation (Qualla Boundary), just outside the park. Big Cove Rd., about 4 mi north of Acquoni Rd., Cherokee, NC, 28719. 800/438-1601 Cherokee Welcome Center. www.visitcherokeenc.com.
Oconaluftee Islands Park & Trail. In the downtown area you can cross the Oconaluftee River on a footbridge to Oconaluftee Islands Park & Trail and walk a trail around the perimeter of the Island Park, which also has picnic facilities. In warm weather, you can wade and swim in the river. Off U.S. 441, across from Cherokee Elementary School, Cherokee, NC, 28719. 800/438-1601. www.visitcherokeenc.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe