- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Moses H. Cone Park. This park is known for its cross-country skiing trails. Blue Ridge Pkwy., MM 294, 2 mi from Blowing Rock, Blowing Rock, NC, 28605. 828/271-4779 Parkway headquarters; 828/298-0398 Parkway information line. www.nps.gov/blri.
Roan Mountain. Off the Blue Ridge Parkway near the Tennessee line and a part of the Pisgah National Forest, Roan Mountain is technically a group of peaks ranging over some 5 mi, with elevations from 5,500 ft to near 6,300 ft. It is known for its rhododendron balds. Though the access road is closed in winter, you can ski cross country in an area famous for its deep powder. Dr. Elisha Mitchell, after whom Mt. Mitchell is named, called Roan Mountain the "most beautiful of all the high mountains." About 10 mi of the Appalachian Trail runs along the ridge here. NC Hwy. 261, near Bakersville, Bakersville, NC, 28705. 828/682-6146 Appalachian Ranger District, National Foress Service. www.nps.gov/blri.
Pineola Inn & Ski Shop. Tours and equipment are available from Pineolo Inn & Ski Shop in Pineola on U.S. 221. The associated Pineola Inn has low-cost motel accommodations near many High Country ski areas. U.S. Hwy. 221, Pineola, NC, 28662. 828/733-4979. www.pineolainn.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $111 -- Charlotte City Center Hotel over Weekends, Save 60% Charlotte Marriott City Center
- $135 & up -- Charlotte, N.C.: Posh Uptown Hotel, $200 Off The Westin Charlotte
- $91 & up -- Myrtle Beach Resort w/6 pools & 2 Lazy Rivers — $91 Sea Watch Resort