- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Linville Gorge. One of the most challenging climbs in the country is the Linville Gorge, often called "the Grand Canyon of North Carolina." The Gorge is part of a 12,000-acre federal wilderness area in the Pisgah National Forest. About 20 trails (not generally maintained) are in the wilderness area. It also offers fishing, hunting, mountain biking, and rock climbing. Backcountry camping permits (free) are required for weekends and holidays May-October, limited to no more than two nights. They are available from the Grandfather Mountain district forest ranger's office in Nebo. Also get an official map of the Gorge from this office. Blue Ridge Pkwy., MM 317, Nebo, NC, 28761. 828/652-2144. www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nfsnc.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $169 -- Luxe North Carolina Hotel near Biltmore, $50 Off Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville