- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
National Park Service Blue Ridge Parkway Headquarters. More than 100 trails lead off the Blue Ridge Parkway, from easy strolls to strenuous hikes. For more information on parkway trails, visit or contact the National Park Service Blue Ridge Parkway Headquarters office at MM 384 near Asheville. Another good source is Walking the Blue Ridge: A Guide to the Trails of the Blue Ridge Parkway, by Leonard Adkins, available at most Parkway visitor-center gift shops. Blue Ridge Pkwy., MM 384, Asheville, NC, 28803. 828/298-0398 Parkway information line; 828/271-4779 Parkway HQ office. www.nps.gov/blri.
Figure 8 Trail. Moses H. Cone Park's (MM 292.7) Figure 8 Trail is an easy and beautiful trail that the Cone family designed for their morning walks. The ½-mi loop winds through a tunnel of rhododendrons and a hardwood forest. Blue Ridge Pkwy., MM 292.7, Blowing Rock, NC, 28605. www.nps.gov/blri.
Waterrock Knob Trail. Those who tackle the strenuous ½-mi Waterrock Knob Trail (MM 451.2), near the south end of the Parkway, will be rewarded with spectacular views from the 6,300-foot-high Waterrock Knob summit, the highest peak in the Plott Balsams range. Blue Ridge Pkwy., MM 451.2, 18 mi from south end of Parkway, NC. www.nps.gov/blri.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $111 -- Charlotte City Center Hotel over Weekends, Save 60% Charlotte Marriott City Center
- $135 & up -- Charlotte, N.C.: Posh Uptown Hotel, $200 Off The Westin Charlotte
- $91 & up -- Myrtle Beach Resort w/6 pools & 2 Lazy Rivers — $91 Sea Watch Resort