- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Asheville Municipal Golf Course. This municipal course beside the Swannanoa River, owned by the city of Asheville but since 2012 under private management, is known for its firm and fast greens. Designed by famed golf architect Donald Ross, it opened in 1927. 226 Fairway Dr., Asheville, NC, 28805. 828/298-1867. www.ashevillenc.gov. Reservations essential. 18 holes. 6420 yds. Par 72. Green Fee: $18 weekday/$22 weekend. Monthly non-resident pass $500. Facilities: Putting green, pitching area, golf carts, pull carts, rental clubs, pro shop, snack bar.
Grove Park Inn Resort. Formerly the course for the Country Club of Asheville, this beauty first opened in 1899 and was redesigned by Donald Ross in 1924. It has been played by several U.S. presidents, including Barack Obama. Grove Park Inn, 290 Macon Ave., Asheville, NC, 28804. 828/252-2711 Ext. 1012 or 800/438–5800. www.groveparkinn.com. Reservations essential. 18 holes. 6740 yds. Par 70. Green Fee: $129 May.–Oct., $85 Nov.–Apr. Facilities: Putting green, golf carts, pull carts, rental clubs, pro shop, golf lessons, restaurants, bars.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe