- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Airlie Gardens Review
Designed first as a European-style garden showcasing plants in all four seasons, Airlie has suffered its share of hurricane damage since it was built in the early 1900s, but has come back each time and is now owned by New Hanover County. There are 67 acres in this lush Southern garden—azaleas, magnolias, and camellias abound—as well as two freshwater lakes that attract waterfowl. The greatest specimen of them all is the gargantuan 468-year-old Airlie oak. May through October you can flutter among 300–400 butterflies in the huge butterfly house. The last tickets for the day are sold one hour before closing.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Needing to see some spring flowers and warmer weather, we headed to North Carolina last week to check out Bryson City, Cherokee and do some hiking in the Great Smoky Mountains.
We stayed at the Hampto Read more
Last year during end of December, I went for a cross country road trip from San Diego to somewhere east of it. Read more
Ideas for a cute town, good food for a stop halfway from Charleston to Richmond. Read more
· News & Features
Premium economy is the budding class of the airline world, but deciding on a carrier (and whether it’s... Read more
San Juan's balmy temperatures, gorgeous beaches, and charming, historic buildings make it the perfec... Read more
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more