The North Carolina Coast Sights


Beaufort Historic Site

Beaufort Historic Site Review

In the center of town, the historic site consists of 10 buildings dating from 1732 to 1859, 8 of which have been restored, including the 1796 Carteret County Courthouse and the 1859 Apothecary Shop and Doctor's Office. Don't miss the Old Burying Grounds (1709), where Otway Burns, a privateer in the War of 1812, is buried under his ship's cannon; a nine-year-old girl who died at sea is buried in a rum keg; and an English soldier saluting the king is buried upright in his grave. Tours, either on an English-style double-decker bus or by guided walk, depart from the visitor center.

    Contact Information

  • Address: 150 Turner St., Beaufort, NC, 28516 | Map It
  • Phone: 252/728–5225; 800/575–7483
  • Cost: $8 tour
  • Hours: Mon.–Sat., walking tours at 10, 11:30, 1, and 3. Bus tour: Apr.–Oct., Mon., Wed., Fri., and Sat. at 11 and 1:30. Burying Ground tour: June–Sept., Tues.–Thurs. at 2:30
  • Website:
  • Location: Beaufort
Updated: 10-09-2012

Fodorite Reviews

Be the first to review this property


· Map of Beaufort Historic Site

Map of

Travel Deals